TO LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE, SLEEP MUST BE A PRIORITY!
Use these Sleep Hygiene Tips to help your body do what it wants to do- REST and RESET!
1. Make sure ALL electronics are completely off! Do not allow electronic devices to stay on while you are falling asleep.
2. Make sure that all lights are off. This includes alarm clocks. If your alarm clock does not have a dimmer, consider turning it away from you or covering it with a thin towel. You may experience this situation in hotel rooms where alarm clocks can be very bright.
3. Your mobile phone should be OUT of your room and preferably far away from your room. Why? Even if you are sleeping, we are all (unfortunately) conditioned to check our phone periodically. Even if you do not physically check your phone, there is still the temptation / habit to do so. If it is out of your room, it will be out of your mind.
4. Create a sleeping area that is cool, comfortable, and Does your neighbor have an annoying light that shines in your room? Is the summer sun rising too early for your sleep? Do not be afraid to buy an inexpensive dark sheet and hang over the windows. Interior decorators may not approve, but sleep is so much more important, and you will look great after a good night’s sleep!
5. Do not eat food 2 hours before sleep! The best way to do this is to eat a good solid breakfast! If you must eat, make sure it is a very light snack. Any food that your body has to process while sleeping will interfere with your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
6. Make sure that you are putting good nutritious food in your body. You are what you eat!
7. Exercise is extremely important. Any activity that is challenging to you, such as running, weight lifting, or even walking, can help satisfy your body’s need for activity and therefore promote the need for rest. Exercise outside as much as you can to take advantage of the sun’s health benefits.
8. Lengthen and massage muscles before bed. Learn a few yoga stretches. Use a foam roller or ball to massage the legs, torso- anywhere that could use a good massage! Blood flow into these areas can be very relaxing.
9. DO NOT WATCH stressful shows / news / etc… within 2 hours of bedtime. TAPE IT if you want to watch it!
10. DO NOT DISCUSS, WORK ON, or THINK ABOUT stressful topics within 2 hours of bedtime. This can seem difficult to do, but if you prioritize your daily schedule, it is easier than you think!
11. If you do watch tv before bed, make sure it is very lighthearted….no serious topics
12. As you are going to sleep, think of a good memory from the day OR a good memory from ANY DAY. And you can use the same memory every night!
13. As you are going to sleep, think about a soothing / relaxing song that you like, sing it in your head.
14. NO NAPS during the day. It is better to consolidate sleep.
15. NO CAFFEINE or NICOTINE after 4 pm.
16. Establish and keep the same sleep schedule.
17. Get outside and get some sun! At least 30 minutes every day.
As your body starts to recognize that you are giving it what it needs through Sleep Hygiene, Airway Support, and Overall Attention to Health, the checks and balances that are built into our body’s systems will have the chance to reset back to “normal”.
This is our goal for you: to give you the best life, so that you can be your best self!